La Jerezana

Written by on September 19, 2018

A small Mexican restaurant, located two blocks down from the campus of Kansas Wesleyan University, La Jerezana began as a small ethnic grocery store. My friend and bowling team-mate Gabe Serrano and I decided to head over and do a little exploring to learn a little more about the place.

Immediately upon entering, you notice the grocery side of the business. The market is so neat and tiny, but man, it’s incredibly efficient. You can find any kind of ingredient you’d possibly ever need to be able to make your own Mexican cuisine. What people don’t know is that the store was the original foundation of the business, with the restaurant being added almost as an afterthought. Now, those roles have shifted, and it’s the kitchen instead of the larder that people now most associate with La Jerazana. A good thing, too. We weren’t there for the market, we were there for some authentic Mexican food.

The menu is very basic but has some very good options. You can get burritos, quesadillas, tacos, tostadas, and tortas. The entree options come with the selection of the meat of your choice and there are plenty of them. Some of the options include carne asada, barbacoa, carnitas, and pollo.

| KWU Student Media

The barbacoa burrito from La Jerezana.

I decided to get a barbacoa burrito, while Gabe got a carne asada one. We both really enjoyed the food but both came to the conclusion that it was just a little too pricy. The food portion was a little small and lacked a bit of flavor. Don’t get us wrong the burritos were still very good, but Gabe’s favorite part of the trip was a glass of horchata.

Ethan Resh- KWU Student Media

KWU Student, Gabe Serrano, stirring up his Horchata from La Jerazana.

Overall, it was a really nice experience and the food was pretty good. Plus you can’t say no to the chance to get out and support a local business.