Umami Bowl Review

Written by on October 21, 2018

Umami Bowl, located west of Crawford and Ohio, is a causal dine-in or take-out restaurant offering Asian inspired dishes. The very name itself comes from the Japanese word “umami” which describes a category of taste that can best be defined as “savory”. At Umami Bowl, customers go down the line and pick which items they want in their bowl or they are able to chose pho, a type of Vietnamese soup, similar to ramen. You can either build your own bowl or chose to get one of their pre-made varieties. If you want pho, all you have to do is select your toppings. To build your own “Umami bowl”, start off with your base which is your choice of white rice, brown rice, or noodles. Next, select your protein. You can choose between teriyaki chicken, Korean beef, or Korean ┬ápork, and for the vegetarian eaters there’s edamame and greens as an option. The next step is to pick between Chinese-style green beens (which I highly recommend), stir fried vegetables, or grilled eggplant.

One of the most unique and delicious parts of building your bowl is the next step which is selecting your sauce. You can mix and match between six different types, they even offer curry. I recommend mixing the red curry with the sesame sauce, it’s literally the best thing ever. After, you choose your toppings, which really helps bring the whole meal together. For beverages, they offer boba smoothies and different types of lemonade. They also offer specialty asian drinks and different types of juices.

Kristiana Streuber | KWU Student Media

All of Umami Bowls options are vegan (except for the meat) and also gluten free. This is a great place to get delicious food and also provides a healthier option for a cheap price. Nothing here is over $12 and the majority of their bowls are under $9, making this a great place to eat while on a budget. One of their best deals happens on the weekend where they offer buy one get one free on all bowls after 8 pm to college students who show their ID. This really helps when you are either living off campus or when the cafeteria is closed on Sunday nights.

This is one of my favorite restaurants in Salina and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for more variety while eating out. I give this 5 out of 5 stars!