Where to go in Salina: Mr. Goodcents

Written by on April 1, 2019

2344 Planet Ave

Mr. Goodcents is like the hidden gem of Salina, but I think it gets an undue bad rap. It’s a sub shop not unlike Subway, but it also has an expanded menu that includes pastas. I’ve heard from people that it’s subpar and the reviews online are all pretty bad for some reason, but I’ve had much the opposite experience. I’m not quite sure when I started going to Mr. Goodcents, but at a point I became very familiar with its owner, Raj. Any time I walk in now, he immediately knows what my order is and he just asks me how many I want. My order is the alfredo pasta, which, despite being a departure from the rest of the sandwiches, is very good. It used to come with bread, but the company policy changed, and now it doesn’t anymore, but Raj knows I like the bread, so he gives it to me anyway. Mr. Goodcents is pretty centrally located in the south part of town where all the fun stuff and places to eat are, so it’s a great choice when you’re going out. Everyone in my family has become a regular there, and everyone has found their order of choice. The only downside to Mr. Goodcents is that it’s a little on the expensive side, but the homey environment and good food make it worth it in my opinion. Just like at Subway, you can customize your order however you want it, get a bag of chips, and get a cookie if you want. Many of my favorite dining experiences have been in Mr. Goodcents, and that’s mostly from the hospitality of the owner, who even insists that we not clean up our own mess just out of kindness. I can’t necessarily promise that your experience at Mr. Goodcents will be the same as a first time customer, but I also wouldn’t say that it’s unlikely.

| KWU Student Media

I would recommend Mr. Goodcents to anyone, at least once. Again, my personal order of choice is the pasta with alfredo, so if you don’t know what to get, you can’t really go wrong. If you feel like it was pretty good, then I’d recommend going back because it can only get better. Raj is seemingly willing to bend over backward for his customers, and it really makes you feel appreciated. Anything your heart desires out of a sub sandwich or a pasta, he can make happen. And you get good food out of the deal! However, I also know that people have had trouble finding the order that they enjoy from Mr. Goodcents, so maybe I’d recommend trying it at least twice. Basically, don’t sleep on Mr. Goodcents and think that it’s just a hole in the wall or some no name sub shop, it’s really good.