Theatre This Fall and Beyond

Written by on August 30, 2019

The KWU school year has been off to a great start with classes, sports, and auditions. The most exciting is what has yet to come though because the theatrical shows that are being offered at Kansas Wesleyan this fall are going to be grand and good for all audiences. This coming October, the play, The Dinning Room by A. R. Gurney will open in Fitzpatrick Auditorium under the direction of Karen Babcock-Brassea. The invited dress rehearsal is Wednesday October 23rd and the show itself will run Thursday October 24th to Sunday October 27th. This is the first performance of the season and students and faculty will not want to miss it!┬áIn addition to this, one of Babcock-Brassea’s theatre classes is going to be a traveling theatre company this semester, going from various locations performing an adaptation of Lewis Carroll’s Alice in Wonderland. The company will also be performing the show at KWU at some point in the semester at an unknown date.

Abby Wray | KWU Student Media

The seats in Fitzpatrick Auditorium are waiting to be filled with theatre-goers for the Fall season’s performances.

We spoke to Karen Babcock-Brassea about things she’s looking forward to this semester. “I am looking forward to the challenges, problem solving, and thinking outside of the box. I’m a storyteller, it’s what I do. ” This is her 5th year teaching at Kansas Wesleyan University and her third career. Babcock-Brassea is a well spoken professor, actor, director, and choreographer. Her first career was as a professional actress on Broadway, touring and performing for roaring crowds. She has been in a number of Broadway shows including: Cats, Chess, Wizard of Oz, and Damn Yankees. Her second career is one that is ongoing- a director and choreographer. She directs at KWU but also outside of the college, and just this summer she directed Mama Mia and Matilda. And of course her third career is teaching students what she loves-the theatre. She hopes to promote individuality, patience, imagination, and creativity.

The biggest takeaway from talking to Babcock-Brassea was the theatre at Kansas Wesleyan University is an inclusive place where she wants as many people to be involved as possible. If you or someone you know is interested in being involved in the theatre, there is a place for you because it takes a village to do theatre. There are opportunities all the time for theatre majors and non-theatre majors alike. If you need some advice on auditioning Karen said, “I look for people to come in and tell the truth and surprise me. I want actors to be prepared because it shows discipline for the rehearsal process.”

‘The theatre, the theatre, what ever happened to the theatre?’ Well folks, it looks like it lives right here in the heart of Salina at Kansas Wesleyan University.

Edit- a previous version of this article stated that in November there would be an opera (Gianni Schicchi), but that has since been cancelled.