Homecoming Preview

Written by on September 6, 2019

Bryce Boyd | KWU Student Media

This years new school year is well underway, and as September comes, it’s time to look forward toward October. That means it time to take a look at what this years Homecoming and Family Weekend has in store for all of us here on campus. First off are all the groups that the school is welcoming back to campus, the Class of 1969, along with the football team from 1969 that have reunion activities planned for the weekend, and KWU is also celebrating fifty years of women’s athletics and has its own set of reunion activities planned for the milestone.

There will also be a number of awards handed out to some of our esteemed alumni as well, one such member of our community is Ryan Hicks from the class of 2005 who will be receiving the Young Alumni Award. Mr. Hicks has spent some time working for the organization Ballin’ for Peace, which he co-founded, the organization is dedicated to helping create a better community environment for at-risk youth in Los Angeles. Other alumni receiving recognition are: Randle Corfman from the class of 1975 who will be receiving the Alumni Achievement Award and Gordon Gorton from the class of 1967, as he will be receiving the Alumni Service Award.

KWU’s athletic department will also be inducting new members into the Hall of Fame during the weekend’s festivities. The 2001-2002 football team will receive an induction, along with Kaylaen Dittmer from the class of 2009 who played women’s basketball, Charlie Dyer from the class of 1971 who played baseball, and other esteemed former collegiate athletes.

Alongside Hall of Fame inductions and Alumni awards, a full schedule of the weekend’s activities have been released, and while the full listing of activities can be found on the school’s website, the more interesting activities can be found below:

Friday, October 11th-

12:30 | Coyote Golf Outing: A golf tournament with registration starting at 11:00 will last until the awards ceremony at 5:30 that evening at the Salina Country Club, cost of entry is $125, which includes a cart, beverages, snacks and lunch, clubs are not included. More information can be found here.

7:30 | KWU On Tap Alumni Social: Friday evening, a get together at the Courtyard Marriott will be held for alumni and students alike, for either reminiscing or networking, the event will be fun for all who attend.

9:00 | Late Night with Coyote Basketball: That night in the Mabee Arena the men’s and women’s basketball teams will be playing games to showcase their skills.

9:45 | Parking Lot Food Truck Party: That night in the SAC parking lot, several local food trucks will be present to serve a late dinner to all who want to come and grab a bite.

Saturday, October 12th- 

8:30 | Alumni Flag Football: That morning, a friendly flag football game between the alumni will be available to watch at the Grave’s Family Sports Complex.

11:00 | Alumni Baseball and Softball Game: A game of baseball and softball between alumni will be available to watch at Dean Evan’s Stadium and Bill Burke Park.

12:00-2:00| Tailgate: Get your pre-game on at the annual Homecoming tailgate, prepare or the big game with food and drinks.

Homecoming Weekend, although just over a month away, is already set to be a good time for all, so get your plans for the 11th through the 13th ready to go, and let’s make KWU’s 2019 Homecoming a great one!