KWU Debate Recap

Written by on November 1, 2019

This semester has been a busy one for Kansas Wesleyan’s Debate and Forensics Team, with four tournaments in the past two months, almost 48 total hours spent driving from destination to destination and multiple awards, trophies and commendations between the seven team members. In an earlier article, one of the team’s tournaments was looked at through the eyes of some of the team’s freshmen, however this one will serve as a recap of the accomplishments and the tournaments over this semester.

The team’s first tournament of the semester was at Howard Payne University in Brownwood, Texas. The team performed well overall and took home multiple awards in both debate and forensics, making the first outing for this young team a great one.

Bryce Boyd | KWU Student Media

The 2019-2020 KWU Debate Team. (Left to right, Abby Wray, Cassity Morlan, Dallas McMillen, Tiffany Carriker, Bryce Boyd, Nathan Naputi, Madi Mitchell)

Bryce Boyd | KWU Student Media

Madi Mitchell, Nathan Naputi, Abby Wray and Dallas McMillen discuss the coming round.

After this trip to Texas, the team shifted their focus to the northern circuit, and to Brookings, South Dakota. The South Dakota State University tournament on an overall level wasn’t as good as the season opener, with only a handful of awards being won. However, the experience of debating and performing in the northern half of the country serves for good practice, as one of the two national tournaments the team will be attending this year is being held in Pennsylvania.

Following the South Dakota venture, the team changed direction once more, following a brief two day Fall Break, the team headed east to the University of Central Missouri in Warrensburg. Coming from an admittedly lackluster performance in South Dakota, at UCM the team exploded from the starting gate, winning multiple awards. On the debate side of the tourney, KWU’s freshman team of Madi Mitchell and Abby Wray took home the gold, winning first place in novice parliamentary debate. Forensics took a positive turn as well, with Wray winning top novice in extemporaneous speaking, winning fifth overall, second in poetry and fourth in pentathlon. Mitchell won top novice in communication analysis and senior Cassity Morlan finished sixth in poetry as well. A good weekend for the Coyotes overall, and there was another tournament to go.

The most recent tournament saw the team drive back down south, this time to Fort Worth, Texas to Texas Christian University. At the end of the weekend, the team performed extremely well at TCU. Sophomore Bryce Boyd and Cassity Morlan finished first in varsity parliamentary debate, with Boyd finishing third in overall speaking awards. On the individual level, Boyd placed first in informative speaking, third in extemporaneous speaking and third in impromptu speaking. Wray placed second in poetry, third in informative and fourth in prose and Morlan placed sixth in prose. TCU was similar to UCM for overall performance, with a plethora of awards being handed out to the hard working Coyote Debate and Forensics Team. The team is now on a well earned break until December, where they will be driving down south once more, this time to Lawton, Oklahoma for the Cameron University tournament.

Bryce Boyd | KWU Student Media

KWU’s Debate and Forensics Team at TCU. (left to right) Bryce Boyd, Cassity Morlan, Abby Wray and Dallas McMillen.