KWU’s Improvement Project

Written by on November 1, 2019

KWU’s New Capital Improvements

KWU

This week, Kansas Wesleyan’s Board of Trustees has approved the new Capital Improvements Project for the school’s campus. The Board has allocated one million dollars in total, $800,000 for general improvements around campus, and an additional $200,000 is going to be set aside for scholarships. The money has come at a good time, with many of the buildings here on KWU’s campus needing structural improvements, Peter’s Science Hall, Pioneer Hall and Sam’s Hall of Fine Arts will all see improvements in the coming months, with work beginning here in the next few weeks.

Bryce Boyd | KWU Student Media

Sam’s Hall of Fine Arts will receive some improvements through this new project.

The first area around campus that will be seeing some improvement over the rest of the 2019-2020 school year is Sam’s Hall of Fine Arts. However, the newer building will need less work, and will be receiving much more simple, quality of life improvements compared to more intricate structural improvement in other buildings. Along with Sam’s Hall, the entrance to Pfeiffer Hall will see renovation as well, and various sidewalks around campus will be repaired.

Bryce Boyd | KWU Student Media

The roof of Pioneer Hall will benefit from the much needed improvements.

The larger set of improvements will come to Pioneer and Peter’s Science Halls. The roofs of the two buildings are in need of repair, and the money will go to making sure any improvements that they need can be provided, especially around the roof of Sam’s Chapel. A specific area of Peter’s Hall that will be renovated is the main stairwell, which is in need of repairs along with the building’s roof. The repairs to Pioneer and Peter’s Halls will be the most pressing aspect of the Capital Improvements Project and work will begin on those first, and most of the $800,000 budget will be allocated there. The hopeful deadline for the project as a whole will be March of 2020, so work crews will have a long four months ahead of them. However, considering that these much needed renovations and repairs are much needed here on KWU’s campus, the work will be welcomed, no matter how long they take.