The unfortunate truth inside America

Written by on March 3, 2020

In 2001,  the United States for the overcoming attitude towards  minorities in this country. For example this concern was that it was caused by the “racial imbalance” among those sentenced to death. Also the fact that the majority of prisoners in American prisons are representatives of ethnic minorities. The most common are African Americans. In addition to the problem of police bias, there are problems within the African American communities themselves. They switch up against each other  and eventually push one another into criminal paths. Even though black Americans have made a huge leap in education, they are still generally less competitive in the labor market than other Americans. One of the reasons that a large proportion of African Americans make up an unskilled and semi-skilled workforce is their discrimination in education. For example there were segregated schools and Universities a while back and the level of education in which were largely determined by the color of their student skin. African Americans, for one reason or another studied at school an average 2.5 years less than their white peers in 1960’s. Even though the facts of education for both were almost leveled. But  the proportion of black students in four year colleges and Universities in the 1980s was 2.2 times less than the proportion of white Americans. The reason for this is, the low quality of teaching in schools from the ghettos. Unfortunately, this situation still exists. There were several other similar incidents that aroused the resentment of African-American communities. The incidents are rather debatable. A significant incident occurred in Brooklyn, New York in 2013. The murder by two policemen of 16 year old African American young boy named Kimani Gray. The cops explained the incident by the fact that Gray pointed a gun at them, which was a 38-caliber revolver. But it was found on the scene. Kimani Gray’s mother said that he never had a gun. Also that the gun was planted. Shortly before the murder, the teenager was arrested for attempting to steal money and before that he appeared at the police station for fights. Well  according to the police, Kimani Gray was a member of the famous gang called “Bloods”. Also, the African Americans living in Brooklyn were vocal that the policemen had no real reason for using weapons. The actions against the police made it a very bad time in Brooklyn. The riots shouted at the police of New York and called them “Ku Klux Klan” or “How many children have you killed today?” Of course this was going to happen. It was soon developed after his death and the riots that lasted several days. Another example where the police took an innocent person’s life was Stephon Clark. On March 18, 2018 Stephon Clark, a 23 year old black American man, was shot and killed in South Sacramento, California. Terrence Mercadal and Jared Robinet, two officers of the Sacramento Police in the backyard of his grandmother’s house while he had a phone in his hand. The whole incident was filmed by the police from their cameras. And there was a  helicopter which was involved in observing Stephon Clark on the ground . Also the officers to the point at which the shooting took place. The officers stated that they shot Clark and fired 20 rounds, believing that he had pointed a gun at them. Police found only a cell phone on him. I grew up with Stephon but we called him “Zo” back home.  He was also a father. He was just two years older than me. It was probably one of the toughest nights to go through. He was the second friend I lost to gun violence. This incident had all of Sacramento going crazy from protests to riots.Specially when we found out that the police officers did not receive any jail time. This is an unfortunate and horrific situation that was in a way similar to Kimani’s situation. Now when it comes to Human Rights Watch, they write reports that are the racial issue continues to play a central role in police abuses in the United States. Even though the advances there were made since the civil movement for the equality of the 1950s and 1960s.There is still a part that has yet to be changed. I feel that  it is the police treatment of racial minorities and how they handle them. Cities where there is information about the ethnic minorities that are often reported about the violations to human rights. But I just don’t understand it because this is a change that needs more media and attention on it. This change from the police needs to happen as soon as possible. How many more families and young lives need to be affected by this! 

Manuel Ricci | KWU Student Media
Manuel Ricci | KWU Student Media