KWU Campus – Time is “Unknown”

Written by on April 15, 2020

Kansas Wesleyan University plans to maintain its limited operations status through the end of the semester. This is based on guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and prevention. Although, approximately 130 students are in the residence halls, the facilities are closed and those students get take out meals from the cafeteria. Of course distancing is being encouraged and there may not be gatherings.

Matt Thompson, KWU President provides an update to all students each Wednesday. This past Wednesday, April 15, his email included some simple but important steps for students to stay on track while studying at home, online, and via virtual format:

• set a schedule
  • talk to your faculty
  • talk to your adviser
  • talk to your coach or activity director
  • talk to the Al Nelson Student Success Center
  • talk to the provost

One other update provided by Dr. Thompson was that the campus residence halls will close on Monday, May 11 at noon. He elaborated by saying “If you have not moved out and do not plan to be a summer resident, then you should begin finalizing your plans to move out”.

Commencement services were cancelled and moved to August 15, per the graduating seniors’ popular vote/survey.

Time will tell as we look ahead to the next academic semester. Since admissions is unable to visit perspective students at schools, they are holding a virtual SOAR Friday, April 17th as well as another virtual SOAR scheduled for early May. Since Athletics is unable to hold practices or conditioning, they are limited to calling current students to check in and encourage that they commit to their own workout routine. In light of the recent interruptions due to the pandemic, several measures are being surveyed for preparedness: virtual learning tools, virtual capability, IA chat sources, instruction platform and schedule consistencies, as well as many other considerations.

KWU Coyote | KWU Student Media

Coyote watching over the KWU Campus.

It is the hope of the President Council and the KWU Foundation Board that classes will resume in August with students returning to stroll the campus, fill the halls and embrace in-person academic instruction. But until there, there are no college visits to high schools or recruiting in person. We are eager for Coyotes to return, and we anticipate welcoming new students to KWU pack.