Feature 4

Written by on May 13, 2020

Open your eyes and we are all living in a pandemic where they will teach what we are going through in our future history books. We are in the year of 2020 and although I thought this year would be a huge breakthrough with technology we are facing a deadly virus spreading all over the world. This virus has done more than just kill people with pre-existing medical conditions. It has also brought down businesses, closed every school, and canceled all sports worldwide. I’ve decided to do an interview so you can see a different perspective in people’s lives during this Pandemic. Sonia Pantoja, a coach at a well known fitness studio called Orange Theory. It focuses on a five zone, heart rate based interval training class that includes both cardio and strength training. The workout design team is not only composed of high end personal trainers but also has medical doctors backing them up. They are scalable to any athletic level, from beginners to advanced athletes. It was founded in December 2010 in all fifty states and now in 2020, it’s surpassing one billion in system wide sales along with one million members in 23 countries. March 10th, 2020 they celebrated their ten year anniversary and one millionth, member. Sonia said, “I felt proud to be a part of such an important movement. We have strived to make weight loss our number one because of the clear problem of obesity and to now have one million members with us is a big step in the right direction.” Little did they know this warm and achieving feeling would soon be put on pause along with any other gym. March 10th, 2020 they celebrated their ten year anniversary and one millionth, member. Sonia said, “I felt proud to be a part of such an important movement. We have strived to make weight loss our number one because of the clear problem of obesity and to now have one million members with us is a big step in the right direction.” Little did they know this warm and achieving feeling would soon be put on pause along with any other gym. Orange Theory has been doing all of the right things by transferring online along with a ton of other gyms. They did so to keep all of their members close and to make sure they were still connected. But sooner rather than later members started to give negative feedback about the at home workouts. “We thought doing workouts without any equipment would make us more versatile. The plan was to stick to bodyweight workouts and focus on just keeping their heart rate up. I never would have thought we would get the reviews that we are getting.” She mentioned that a couple of people have commented about how the workouts feel like warm ups and another woman mentioned that it just wasn’t enough. With all this Peloton talk other gyms like Orange Theory are worried about their coming back. Sonia said, “Once we get the green light to open up I fear some members would rather stay at home and get their money’s worth from the Peloton device they purchased.” They are holding onto the idea of their members staying loyal to them. She shared that some members rely on face to face interaction and even with all of this online working out who is there to hold them reliable. “Who is there to help with form and ease into working out with beginners?” she mentioned. Sonia along with any other gym, small business, sports team, and the students are just trying to hold onto hope. In conclusion, here is a different struggle others face during this Pandemic. 

Manuel Ricci | KWU Student Media
Manuel Ricci | KWU Student Media