Month Long Women’s History Events

Written by on March 10, 2021

March is Women’s History Month and KWU is kicking it off with a myriad of events.

One of these month-long events is the Shero Wall in the SAC. Throughout the month of March, anyone on campus can go to the SAC and write their Sheros on papers laying out on a table by the Den and then tape them to the wall. 

The definition of a Shero can be different for everyone but mostly, it is a woman someone admires because they have made a positive impact in their life. (Shero= female hero) This can be a historical figure, musical artist, a family member, and more. This is an event that anyone and everyone can be involved in and we encourage all who can to take part, to do so. You can tape just one Shero or as many as you’d like, but we want as much campus involvement as possible. 

Another important month-long event going on campus is a feminine hygiene product drive for the Ashby House (a local organization for sheltering women and children from violence and homelessness). Look for bins across campus- in the dorms, student development, and the athletics office. We are looking to collect pads, tampons, panty liners, menstrual cups, etc. for women in need. 

Abby Wray | KWU Student Media
Abby Wray | KWU Student Media

Oftentimes women without homes lack access to feminine hygiene products and so we need to do our part to alleviate this issue as much as possible. If you can donate anything please make sure you do so to make a difference in your community and individual lives. Donations will be accepted all month and we will give the products to the Ashby House at the end of the month.

Women’s History Month will have other events weekly like a movie night to celebrate Ruth Bader Ginsburg (March 5th at 7pm in Fitzpatrick), poetry and open mic night (March 12 at 6pm in the SAC), and more. TALK will also be hosting programs that highlight women’s issues throughout the month of March.

Abby Wray | KWU Student Media