Weather and Diversity

Written by on March 10, 2021

Paul Green | KWU Student Media
This week, March 1st to March 7th, is considered “Severe Weather Awareness” Month. I’m sure we can all relate to this after these last couple of weeks. The weather this winter was nothing less than treacherous, not covering up was a death wish. Kansas natives are used to the extreme conditions Mother Nature throws at them. Extreme Winds, below freezing winters, and flash floods are few things Kansans have to deal with. Since school is in session, naturally people from all over the country -and in some instances, world- come to Kansas Wesleyan in order to earn their degree. Many of them come from different cultures and backgrounds, this causes the area to diversify and bring different perspectives to a place that has lacked in recent years. Many newcomers have grown used to their environment and weather in their area, they were not prepared for the curve balls ole Kansas can throw. Recently, the KWU community endured below negative degrees temperature. This brought a huge shock for all the newbies that have never even dealt with snow before. Many of which just didn’t know how to act. On the first major snowfall this semester, students gathered outdoors when it was nearly midnight, just to play a two hand touch football game. Many students come from south west areas of the United states where it does not snow. These are the students that normally act up when something like snow happens. I wanted to see the thought process of students who haven’t seen snow or experienced extreme cold conditions so I interviewed students around campus. I also spoke to Kansas native Tyler Kepple, sports management, a senior here at Kansas Wesleyan about the extreme conditions we faced recently. He said “it was a new experience for him because [he] had never felt it that cold before.” Kepple also mentioned that it’s a good idea to bundle up with multiple socks and wear a big poofy jacket to make sure you stay warm. This is some great advice that incoming students might want to hear.

Students like Justin Clatterbuck, sports management, could’ve definitely used this advice. Clatterbuck, a sophomore at KW, is from Arizona and was “surprised and really wasn’t prepared for it.” He also mentions how living in the opposite extreme is actually more bearable than the extreme cold. If you are an incoming freshman looking for a school to go to and you happen to come across Kansas Wesleyan, take what Clatterbuck and Kepple as quality advice. They are students from different backgrounds that come together and make the KWU the wonderful community that it is.