Multi-Cultural Student Union Meeting Recap – 9/21

Written by on October 19, 2021

Victor Cascio | KWU Student Media

The Kansas Wesleyan University Multicultural Student Union held its weekly meeting on Tuesday night at 8:45 p.m. in the Brown mezzanine in the Student Activities Center. This week’s meeting was kicked off with a surprise celebration in recognition of Union Director Dr. Allen Smith’s birthday. The students enjoyed a buffet-style meal that included favorites such as hot dogs, burgers, corn on the cob, and cupcakes.

The first order of business was to finalize the details of signups for the 2nd Annual KWU talent show, scheduled for several weeks later in the school year. Tryouts were held on Thursday, September 30th and there was discussion of another potential tryout day to be held following the conclusion of Fall Break and Homecoming, on October 22nd. Tryouts are open to all students and all types of acts are welcome. There will be a payout distributed to the top 3 acts, with $100 going to the first-place performance, $75 to the second place act, and 3rd place will be awarded a $50 prize. Dr. Smith made it a point for the members to get the word out to the younger members of the student body in an effort to keep this event going for years and years to come. 

“The tradition is only as rich as the participants, and so we really want people to come out and express the talent that is on Kansas Wesleyan’s campus,” said Dr. Smith

The next topic of discussion for the previous week’s meeting was the Gospel Brunch, scheduled for Sunday, November 14th. Smith has several guest appearances lined up for this event and is looking to add to that list. Potential names include KWU alum Christian McQueen, who was just signed by Broadway in New York City, and well-known gospel singer Fred Hammond, amongst other names. 

From there, the Union moved on to discussing membership for the regional NAACP chapter, based at KWU. Current institutions holding membership include KWU, Kansas State University, and Salina Area Technical College. Around 10 KWU students have signed up for the chapter thus far, and the overall goal is to push that number to 25 in order for the organization to receive the grant money that is available to them through the NAACP. The state NAACP president has written a grant to support the start of this new chapter, however, the money cannot be awarded until membership has filled up and the chapter has become official. 

Victor Cascio | KWU Student Media

The first order of business was to finalize the details of signups for the 2nd Annual KWU talent show, scheduled for several weeks later in the school year. Tryouts were held on Thursday, September 30th and there was discussion of another potential tryout day to be held following the conclusion of Fall Break and Homecoming, on October 22nd. Tryouts are open to all students and all types of acts are welcome. There will be a payout distributed to the top 3 acts, with $100 going to the first place performance, $75 to the second place act, and 3rd place will be awarded a $50 prize. Dr. Smith made it a point for the members to get the word out to the younger members of the student body in an effort to keep this event going for years and years to come. 

The next topic of discussion for the previous week’s meeting was the Gospel Brunch, scheduled for Sunday, November 14th. Smith has several guest appearances lined up for this event and is looking to add to that list. Potential names include KWU alum Christian McQueen, who was just signed by Boradway in New York City, and well-known gospel singer Fred Hammond, amongst other names. 

From there, the Union moved onto discussing membership for the regional NAACP chapter, based at KWU. Current institutions holding membership include KWU, Kansas State University, and Salina Area Technical College. Around 10 KWU students have signed up for the chapter thus far, and the overall goal is to push that number to 25 in order for the organization to receive the grant money that is available to them through the NAACP. The state NAACP president has written a grant to support the start of this new chapter, however the money cannot be awarded until membership has filled up and the chapter has become official. 

The meeting concluded with the group’s debate of generating funding via fundraising going the route of requesting donations. The argument for donation requests was seemingly stronger than the case for fundraising, mostly based on the fact that fundraising requires the organization to reach into their own pockets in order to set up fundraising events. Consequently, this inhibits maximum generation of funding. Furthermore, Dr. Smith argued that requesting donations also assists in getting word out regarding the message and values of the group. When people are asked for their money, the first thing they will desire to know is that it is going toward. This provides a subtle platform for the group to not only produce proper funding, but get word out and represent their cause in the process. 

The meeting concluded with some parting words from Dr. Smith, reiterating the importance of leadership from his 8 officers. “Where you go, they go.” Smith will be taking a step back when it comes to some of the union’s legwork and asks those in positions of leadership to take on a semi-larger role.

The meeting concluded with the group’s debate of generating funding via fundraising going the route of requesting donations. The argument for donation requests was seemingly stronger than the case for fundraising, mostly based on the fact that fundraising requires the organization to reach into its own pockets in order to set up fundraising events. Consequently, this inhibits the maximum generation of funding. Furthermore, Dr. Smith argued that requesting donations also assist in getting the word out regarding the message and values of the group. When people are asked for their money, the first thing they will desire to know is what it is going toward. This provides a subtle platform for the group to not only produce proper funding but get the word out and represent their cause in the process.