KWU vs. Sterling

Written by on October 19, 2021

Manuel Ricci | KWU Student Media
Manuel Ricci | KWU Student Media

Photos took from Jhalen Haynes

After the Coyotes rolled Friends University 65-7 in Wichita, Ks they had to prepare for a home showdown vs the 2-0  hot Sterling squad. Kansas Wesleyan came out fire hot against Friends University and is looking forward to repeating that momentum against Sterling. From several talks around town Sterling believes that they can be the KCAC champs because they are 2-0. But this group of coyotes believes otherwise. I was very fortunate to be able to interview Devonte Brooks, Kumauri Bennett, and team captain Devonte Gabriel again on how they are ready to prepare against Sterling. 

When I interviewed Devonte Brooks, the outside linebacker from Cleveland, Ohio he explained how Sterling has two different quarterbacks that play two different styles. He has been studying film to figure out when they decide to run the quarterback and when they decide to just pass. All really depends on the downs and how much to get a first down. As well he wants to make the running quarterback become a passer in the game and make the passing quarterback become a runner. His job is to find out how to make them both uncomfortable so they can have the upper hand. He also learned that their offense motions a lot but it can be stopped by them just being patient and just doing their job. Devonte Brooks is a key player for this defense and is locked in and ready to play this game. 

I had a great interview with team captain Devonte Gabriel, The middle linebacker from Houston, Texas. He explained to me that their defense needs to watch their key players and get to the ball. As Well as watching the motion and just doing their job.  He doesn’t believe that their run game has a chance against the Coyotes strong defense. He has the utmost confidence that his defense will shine and make great plays this Saturday evening. This young man has a bright future playing the game of football. I am excited to see what he does on Saturday evening. 

Lastly I had a great interview with star freshman, defensive back Kumauri Bennett from Detroit, Michigan. He talked about how sterling has gotten into his head and he needs to just calm down because he knows he can play with these guys. He told me what they do, that makes them so confusing is that they do a lot of misdirection and a lot of different routes. He is confident in locking up their star receiver but it isn’t about him, he said that everyone needs to do their job and everything else will fall in place. I am excited to see this young man go out there and make a name for himself. 

I personally believe that the Coyotes will dominate Sterling and put them in their place. I feel that this is a special group of men that are locked in and ready to make a name for this school once again. Please make sure to come to the Coyotes first home game with all fans since 2019.  Roll Yotes!!